Cirium is carefully analyzing the global impact of COVID-19 (coronavirus), on travel and tourism, by tapping into Cirium Core data sets and leveraging our expert teams. We are providing insights on flight disruption across the globe and what this means for airlines and airports; reviewing the aircraft groundings by airline and aircraft types; and analyzing the fleet leasing and aircraft values informatics.
With so many rapid developments, visualizing the analytics becomes critical to understanding what is happening across the industry. We want to enable the industry to quickly respond and better solve problems through access to data and actionable insights.
Start by exploring our data visualization which showcases what we can see by fusing two data sets – flight status and flight schedules data.
Cirium Idea: Coronavirus Aviation Impact
Looks at the impact on the domestic and international flights for China since 01-Jan-2020.
International scheduled flights to and from China between January 1-to-April 26 are down 50% with only 739,113 flights actually flown out of 1,469,786 originally scheduled. Total international flights impacted between this period equates to 730,673 flights, to and from China.
Our analyses go beyond China. See below, in-depth insights on the impact of COVID-19 across the aviation industry.
- NEW infographic: Industry by the Numbers: The outlook for the aviation market. This infographic illustrates GDP, air traffic, global fleet and regional insights.
- Post: Rob Morris utilizes schedules, fleet, and flight status data to assess the impact of coronavirus on the aviation industry.
- On-demand webinar: Coronavirus: the route to a planned and predictable aviation industry recovery – Thursday 7th May – 3pm BST, 10am ET. Watch Now
- Video: View the latest in aviation changes, cancellations and disruption activity.
- Infographic: The Impact of COVID-19 on Aviation.
- Post: A spotlight on aviation finance trends at ISTAT Americas. And, if you missed Rob’s talk on the aviation market and Covid-19 then you can access his slides here.
- On-demand Webinar: Join us to hear from experts Rob Morris and George Dimitroff.
Date: Wednesday 22nd of April at 3pm BST, 10am EST. Watch Now.
- New Video: Cirium expert, Joanna Lu, talks about governmental support to the aviation sector in view of Covid-19
- Daily Update: Coronavirus: Monitoring passenger jet activity through the hibernation phase
- Update: Cirium is monitoring in-storage figures on a daily basis. As of April 14, 2020, only 38% of the global fleet is currently in-service.
Flight disruption globally:
- Post: China domestic air travel capacity returns in ‘beacon of hope’ for global recovery
- Report: Asia aviation slowly starting to rebuild
- Update: At least seven years of passenger growth initially lost by COVID-19 –
Ascend by Cirium reports on the impact on airlines and aircraft manufacturers following IATA’s prediction for a 48% fall in traffic this year.
- Post: COVID-19 (coronavirus) impact on US, Europe travel.
- Video: Cirium expert Henk Ombelet talks about the impact the coronavirus was having at that time on airline operations.
- February 21 Press Release: Cirium analysis of COVID-19 reveals over 200,000 flights canceled.
- Jan 31 Press Release: 10,000 Chinese flights cancelled due to coronavirus.
- Post: 10 fast facts -How COVID-19 impacts global airline operations.
- Video: Cirium expert Michalina Glapa takes a look at historical market data to analyze the impact of Covid-19 in comparison to previous downturns. In addition, she focuses on data for both single aisle and widebody aircraft types and predicts a downside market scenario for the A320-200.
Elsevier Information Center – While Cirium is working to provide insights into the impact on the aviation market, our fellow RELX analytics company Elsevier has collected relevant articles on Coronavirus.